Eventide Eventide

First thoughts: For some reason I keep being reminded of the Portal 2 OST - especially some of the filtered basslines and builds I keep expecting Wheatley's leitmotif to come in. It could even be interpreted as a new genre-take, even if it wasn't intended that way.

Don't worry, I loved the Portal 2 OST :P

I very much liked the composition of the piece - the less energetic parts transitioned well into the build-ups, and all in all it was a great listen. The ending seemed a bit cut short to me, though.

Your bassline synths were good, but the others did get a little repetitive, both in melodic and instrumental terms. But it definitely is a sound for DnB I've not encountered before.

I guess in summary, you've done a great job! Looking forward to hearing more from you!

descara responds:

Heh, I certainly don't mind being compared to the Portal OST ;)

Repetitiveness in the lead was certainly one of the main problems with this, along with some aspects of the mix and filtered basslines that I'd like to redo sometime. Thanks for your comment!

Public Relations Public Relations

Excellent work!

You have a mastery of creating a piece that manages to use melodies without making them seem repetitive. The feel of the piece suits its name - it could very well be accompanied with a high-speed tour of a research facility... in any case, great job!

System Split - F-777 System Split - F-777

Different style - and it succeeds excellently.

It's different. And I like that. But there is something wrong: I can't explain what exactly made it so good! Perhaps the rough textures of the synths really brought out the power in the song....XP

F-777 responds:

Haha thanks so much!! I was going for power im glad i achieved that!
Thank you!

Summer Sunshine (Remix) Summer Sunshine (Remix)

Hm. Is good, but work is needed too.

Okay, let me tell you straight up - I'm a very dance and tech-house kind of person, so my main points generally deal with repetition and the general pace of the song. I understand that it's a trance song and trance is built differently from EDM and house, but I'm simply suggesting what I think would make it more music to my ears (pun unintended).

0:14 - I expected a countermelody at this point. Would it be possible to move the change at 0:27 to here and eliminate those 8 bars?
0:40 - As above. Another repeated 8 bars which to me seem like filler. Once more the transition at 0:55 could be moved here.
1:08 - ...as above. 1:08-1:21 feel like filler. I commend you on the excellent introduction of the kick at 1:21 however.
1:45 - Aha! I detect the subtle introduction of the clap sound. Is good.
1:50 - Very nice drop and cut-down percussion section.
2:04 - *sigh* Another 8 bars which could have been cut. A transistion would have been nice here.
2:31 - As above.
3:13 - Your ending is excellently executed. Not much I can suggest for improvement here.

All in all, it's a good piece but it seems to drag sometimes because you duplicate 8 bar phrases without transitions.

[GZ] Dream Trance [GZ] Dream Trance

Main point of contention: Originality

But then again, the arp IS a tad too useful for its own good anyway, and the product you've come up with is excellent for a beginner. In any case, it's not like you completely ripped people off and your end product has concepts that are equally original, so I'm going to give you an 8 - sorry if that's a bit harsh, it really is what I think. There's another example of a similar arp and melody being used: see if you can find AF + T888: Astral Dream anywhere. Hopefully you can draw more inspiration from all around you to improve your composing!

P.S. Turn up the kick. ;)

GrayZ responds:

Haha thanks alot! It's not harsh at all :) My friend kept begging me to turn up the kick but I didn't see it convenient boy was I wrong :P Thanks so much for the review :)

When Light Conquers Darkness When Light Conquers Darkness

I loved Code Lyoko....

Hearing this melody brings me back, it really does.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all.
Code Lyoko, be there when you call!
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall.
Code Lyoko, stronger after all!

I love how you took the original melody and made into more than it was - good remixes are becoming harder to find these days, and not just of good songs like this. I salute you!

SKILLZmakeKILLZ responds:

wow, thanks !!<3

Synthetica (Hard Trance) Synthetica (Hard Trance)

You had me at 2:15. No questions asked. So giving this choreo.

Bahdshah responds:

HAHAHA HELL YEAH!

We Will Fly - F-777 We Will Fly - F-777

10 seconds in...

And I was on the download button like a child on a pile of candy. WIN. Have I mentioned WIN? I'm pretty sure I mentioned WIN. We will fly indeed. Only weird bit is the synth at 1:25, which doesn't quite mesh. But otherwise WIN!

SHS - Around the World SHS - Around the World

Genre

It's a simplistic and melodious tune, but it's not making me dance, which is the point of dance music. This is a difficult piece to place and people will probably hate me for saying this, but maybe it belongs in trance?

broosree responds:

Yeah...it's a little slow for the dance genre...I always have trouble figuring out where to put my stuff. Thanks for your thoughts.

Rig, xKore, Treyhaur, all suck Rig, xKore, Treyhaur, all suck

Actually not a bad tune.

Your attitude, however, leaves much to be desired.